A DENTIST AND THE MOUNTAINS

(24FEB2009)

I have taken far too many pictures of the mountains.

I grew up on an island and perhaps over many years at and around the beach I eventually came to take them for granted. When I commuted to college I drove over one of the most picturesque bridges every single day, twice, and at some point maybe it stopped taking my breath away.

Having moved away from Rhode Island several years ago and returning maybe once a year, the majesty of the ocean has returned and I am moved by the many views my hometown has to offer – I always take some time to drive around the island, and I have my favorite spots to catch a view, to get my fill.

I have apparently not been in Afghanistan long enough to be lulled by the mountains.

Every time I walk out of my front door, my eyes turn to the mountains – is it clear today? Are they snow-capped? More or less snow than yesterday? Are there clouds lollygagging around the peaks? Is the sun almost sneaking behind them?

When I drive from one side of post to the other (almost daily, and often more than once daily), I have my camera out to catch a picture of an ascending plane against the mountains in the background or a unique view of the sun or the clouds on the mountains. I believe I’ve taken almost every picture that could be taken, but I can’t stop. The mountains still awe me.

Today I walk out of my room, see that it’s a clear day, and see that I’m not the only one who sees it. A soldier is standing up on the bunker outside my door, taking pictures of the peaks. I’ve done that.

He climbs down after a few minutes and asks me if I know what mountains these are – “The Hindu Kush”, I tell him. He tells me he’s new in country, just arrived yesterday, and that he’s blown away by the view. We chat for a few minutes; he’s a dentist and I have teeth, so that’s a subject. He’s doing a short tour – just four months. I’d be home now if that were my length of deployment.

He asks me about the post, and I feel like an old-timer, a veteran of Bagram Air Field, because I know my way around and can give directions to the 4 places anyone would ever want to go.

He thanks me for my time, and I send him on his way with “Welcome to Afghanistan.”