KIWI MOVIE NIGHT

(06FEB2009)


I’m walking to the latrine tonight when I see that the Kiwis were watching a movie, projected onto a board they’d painted white and hung on the side of a conex just next to their quarters.


They’ve done this a couple of times, and I always enjoy seeing units doing something – anything – to relax. Before it got and stayed cold, soldiers living in huts nearby would barbecue on Saturday nights, set up a screen and play video games.


There are a few basketball courts spread around post, and a sand volleyball court next to the gym. They’d all get use when it was warmer, and I assume they will again. The cold winter is keeping everyone cooped up.


It’s cold tonight, but I think I’ve seen space heaters on the Kiwi deck, and I assume they’re in use tonight. I get closer to see if I can identify the movie, but when I hear the thick New Zealand accents of the actors, I’m convinced I’ll have no idea.


I don’t want to walk in front of their movie, so I change direction and head to the port-a-johns that are actually closet to my hooch, but in generally more disgusting condition.