IT’LL BE A CHRISTMAS AT “HOME”

(22DEC2008)

I’ve been trying to get to FOB SHARANA for the last 5 days.

No luck.

The fixed wing flights are backed up primarily due to weather, but I’ve actually been trying to get out on rotary wing (helicopter), as it’s easier to travel with equipment and I have some fairly large vehicle scales I’d like to get down there for some data collection.

I love flying in helicopters, and it’s usually on those rides when I marvel that I get paid to do this. The large majority of my flights in Iraq were on helos, but I’ve only flown fixed wing in Afghanistan so far.

The rotary terminal posts their missions late in the afternoon, and I’ve been swinging by every day to check the schedule and without fail the missions are listed as having no space for pax. The soldier manning the desk recognizes me when I walk in each day and gives me a friendly wave.

I had thought I’d be in Sharana for Christmas, but I have appointments early next week that I have to be in Bagram for, so I’m abandoning my attempt to get down there for now. I have to allow several days on each end of the trip for cancelled/full flights, probably more now that the weather is worsening, and I don’t want to get stuck in Sharana.

And so, I’ll be spending Christmas in Bagram. It’s what passes for home here, I guess, and really for me it’s as home as I have anywhere. My belongings are in storage in the States and the “permanent” address I use is my parents’ house in Alabama, somewhere I’ve never stayed for more than a weeklong visit.

That part of my life actually makes being here easier, because I’m not missing anywhere specific. In fact I am not looking forward to returning to the States and having to go through the rigmarole of finding an apartment and moving in, buying a bed, hanging pictures, waiting for the cable guy, etc.

For now, that’s all taken care of. The Army tells me where to live and provides me with a bed, albeit the worst bed I’ve ever slept on, they give me three (or four) square meals a day, and a place to take a shower.

They take care of all my essentials and all they ask in return is that I go forth and do great things. I do my best, and I sleep well at night, even on that horrible mattress.

FOB = Forward Operating Base