I BRAKE FOR CRITTERS

(09OCT2008)
Bagram is set up like many military bases in the Middle East, with a large airfield in the middle and a sprawl of buildings on either side. The runway at Bagram runs more or less North-South and I live on the West side of post. That means I also work on the West side, since I’m currently working out of my quarters.

The group I’m with has been trying to get office space for several months, and when I first arrived (in late August), I was told that a location had been selected on the East Side of post (where the rest of our unit is) and that construction of a B-hut would begin imminently and take about 2 weeks. A B-hut is a small wooden building that can comfortably accommodate an office of ~8 people.

We’re still waiting for them to start. We would be more frustrated with the process if it weren’t so common, if we weren’t so used to it. When we were told “2 weeks” we didn’t believe it for a second.

Since I am still living/working on the other side of post from the rest of my BDE, I drive back and forth most days to attend VTCs and other meetings. Last night, on my way back from a VTC that ran late, I spotted a fox on the side of the road. I slowed down to make sure he wouldn’t dart in front of my vehicle.

You don’t see much wildlife on military bases; some birds and insects, sure, but generally nothing more. I try to keep my eyes peeled for critters, though, and was glad to see the fox, even if he was just taking a crap on the side of the road.


BDE = Brigade

VTC = Video Tele-Conference