WHAT’S NEXT? CAFFEINE-INFUSED UNDERWEAR? (PATENT PENDING)

(04OCT2008)

I saw more of this in Iraq, but even here you needn’t look hard to find a soldier with a lip or cheek full of dip or chew, spitting brown into a water bottle. It’s not a habit I’ve ever found intriguing (my one experiment with it wasn’t enjoyable), but I can understand how one could get into it while deployed. With no beer to be found (part of General Order Number One), tobacco is one of the few chemical releases available us.

Caffeine is another.

Rip-It and Red Bull energy drinks are very popular in theater, and a friend of mine in Iraq brought at least two cans with him into meetings to insure wakefulness. While he was only trying to avoid nodding off in front of our commander, it makes sense that soldiers on missions would have an even more real need for a boost, to stay alert and on guard.

A good friend of mine recently emailed me an article about a couple of Marines who have started to produce tobacco infused with caffeine, to capitalize on the habit that many soldiers already have and to assist in their efforts to stay attentive in a war zone. My buddy seemed to think this was a very novel idea, and it is, but it’s not entirely unique.

I emailed him the following pictures of Wrigley’s STAY ALERT cinnamon flavored caffeine gum.

You’ve got to love a pack of gum that comes with a warning label. It reads:

· CHEW 1 STICK FOR 5 MINUTES

· IF NOT ALERT CHEW A 2nd STICK

· CHEW A 3rd STICK IF FATIGUE RETURNS

· DO NOT EXCEED 3 STICKS IN 3 HOURS OR MORE THAN 10 STICKS A DAY


The back also states “made exclusively for the US Military. Not for Retail Sale.”

I haven’t tried it yet, but carry it with me for emergencies.