SMALLPOX AND ANTHRAX SHOTS

(06OCT2008)

It’s been 7 weeks since I received my smallpox vaccination at FT BENNING prior to my deployment. The location of the shot in my left shoulder festered and was really quite disgusting for a while (I have a picture, but am withholding it in deference to your appetite). Per the instructions I was given, I kept the area covered with a band-aid at all times except for short spans after showers when I let it air dry.

Finally, the spot has healed enough for me to shed the band-aid altogether, though it’s still red. Seven weeks of wearing an adhesive on my arm has left the surrounding area irritable; it has itched constantly for the last 2 months.

I received the next in the series of Anthrax shots that same day back in August and I still have a knot in my shoulder. It’s unobtrusive, but you can feel it.